Junji Ito

For this weeks reading I read the first chapter of Tomie and the entirety of Hellstar Remina and Gyo. I've been familiar with Junji Ito's work but before now never really read much of it, I think the only works of his that I've read previously is The Enigma of Amigara Fault.
Something that I find really interesting about Junji Ito is just how varied his stories are, some are psychological or more science fiction while others are just straight up gross (i.e. Gyo). After reading Gyo I just wanted to ask him "Hey man, what the heck?". Was he just like "What if we made farts sentient and gave them bodies so they could unionize?". It was really weird and gross, I hated it but I couldn't stop reading it and I think that really says something about just how great Junji Ito's storytelling is.


Comments

  1. I liked Gyo too it's very weird and scary, I was wondering what was on his mind when i wrote this manga like did he ask himself "what if one day legged sea creatures took over the world then humans except they breathe their own farts?". Also I have seen some parts of the Film too, I'm not joking they did make a anime film about this I recommend watching it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gekiga

Silver Spoon